The viral meme currently sweeping the blogosphere has made its way to Toddler Planet. Odd, because other viruses take a much more direct route. And no one here sweeps.
Five (Slightly Odd) Things You Didn’t Know About Me:
1. I don’t cook. Period. I am a stay-at-home mom, but I don’t shop for groceries or fry ’em up in a pan. Why? Because I suck at it. Actually, there’s a deeper reason. A more feminist reason, if you’ll believe that. I decided way back in junior high that I was going to do something important with my life, and that didn’t include cooking for my husband (presumably a perfectly capable individual in every other way, or why would I choose him?) or making coffee at the office. I never learned to do either properly. I did do something important with my life — but this early attitude of mine shames me to this day. Luckily, I did marry a perfectly capable husband, who loves to cook. And doesn’t mind whipping up the 20 minute dinner on occasion too.
2. I don’t make coffee. I don’t know how. See above.
3. I did do something big with my life. I got a Ph.D. in a difficult science field, and I went to work in my dream job. But I gave it up to raise a little boy. I still miss it. A lot. But I wouldn’t have missed the time with my son for the world. Oh wait, that’s not so odd! The blogosphere (and my MOMS Club) is filled with successful women taking time at home to raise children. However, a younger me would have found it odd (also to my shame), so I’m keeping it on the list.
4. I opened my own consulting business just over a year ago, and I’ve spent the first month of my maternity leave finishing a proposal for a big chunk of work. I wonder if it’s any good, or if the oxytocin and lack of sleep have made it sound girly. Can it be scientifically sound and girly at the same time?
5. I own two pairs of shoes. Just two. Well, I suppose I do have another seven or eight stylish black pairs in my closet, from my silk-suit and fancy-lunch days, but I don’t wear them. My suede-ish boots and low-heel black pant shoes fit the bill for anything I need to do these days. Sorry, Canape and Mrs. Chicken — you’ll have to carry the fashion torch for us here!
P.S. I’m going to be up all night again editing that proposal. It’s due Thursday and it’s really been on my mind lately (hence no blog postings this weekend). Anyone who wants to share the love and leave me an encouraging comment would be greatly appreciated and much-read in the coming week … because who doesn’t want pity-comments?